Thursday, December 6, 2007

#19 Social Networking

I took a look at the different library "spaces" and enjoyed finding out how they used this new technology. The online instant messaging reference "librarian" was quite interesting and seemed to be quite popular among all the libraries. Browsing from any screen, book reviews, and even discussion areas seem to be quite the standard. I was a little disappointed with the look--there wasn't much flexibility to provide a more unique look. They all had that "canned" look. I think it might be fun to begin with maybe some book discussion lists and the online reference (available during certain hours--not 24 hours to start with).

I was surprised at all the different venues that were available--everything from religion to music to books and movies--just about any subject you want to explore. I never realized that there were comparable networks for different age groups. I decided to try the Eons site (for over 50!). It was easy to sign up, although I have to say I was a little uncomfortable putting in much personal information. I know there are security measures in place, but I didn't fill in a lot of personal information. I'm not sure how many "friends" I will have, but I was interested in some of the other features like the health articles and in particular the brain games. It sounds like a lot of fun. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: